Friday, August 05, 2016

This year's Shakespeare in the Park was a play I haven't seen yet; Love's Labour's Lost. I got down there about 2 and a half hours before the show and got the best seats I could (tall chairs are relegated to behind blanket seating which is behind $80/chair seating). I think this is the first year I've been able to see and hear the play so it was definitely easier to follow. The story seemed simpler than the other plays. I was slightly disappointed there was no cheesy on stage fight to the death. The actors made the words seem funnier than I think they would on the page. There was also some silly dancing and costumes. The whole concept of guys breaking their vows of celibacy by making new vows to the first pretty women they see is comedy in itself. I wonder if back then any woman who was well off, dressed nice (and clean) would be the prettiest.
It was nice when the sun was up - I hid behind someone else's chair for shade - but once it dropped and the pretty sunset was gone the wind came up a bit and we wrapped up in the blanket I put down for our feet. At least the rain stayed away. I didn't have time to put a picnic together so I just went to Earl of Sandwich and got some wraps. They were pretty decent, not too badly priced - and way easier than making them at home and bringing them. There were some people staked out at one of the restaurants tables with huge containers of deli foods (like potato salad and such) chowing down on a brick of cheese. I was jealous (of the cheese). We planned on trying the special Shakespeare ice cream sundae after dinner but it was too chilly.
Unfortunately weather is looking stormy this weekend - even all the way up in Vermont. What do people do when it's raining in the summer? I just realized indoor water parks are a thing - the nicest one I found is over $300 for a room and admission! They boast of always tropical weather... But their temperatures are a little cooler than the actual tropics. Maybe now is the time to call up that rock climbing gym and ask if our 10 day pass from last year is still good! Alternatively, a brewery tour in nearby NH sounds plausible. It's a good thing we postponed our RI beach trip planned for tomorrow. It would have been a bust just like our Old Orchard Beach ME trip - beach weather wise at least. We didn't step a foot on the sand! <3 Amorette

No comments: